Cherry Chia Jam
- 2 cups sweet cherries
- 2 1/2 Tablespoons chia seeds
- 2 Tablespoons maple syrup
Rinse and pick over the sweet cherries. Pit the cherries, using a cherry pitter or a knife.
Place the pitted cherries in a pot and cook over medium heat for about 5-6 minutes, until they soften.
Use a potato masher to mash the cooked cherries.
Stir in the maple syrup and chia seeds. Pour the jam into glass jars. This recipe filled one pint jar and one half pint jar.
Allow the jam to cool before placing in the refrigerator.
Raw Goyi Berry Jam
- ½ cup goji berries
- ½ cup (125 ml) water
- 2 tsp maple syrup to taste
- Juice of half a lemon
- ½ tsp Lemon rind
- 1-2 teaspoons psylium seed husk
- Place dried berries in a bowl, add water, lemon juice, let stand for 1-2 hours to soften the berries.
- Transfer in a high speed blender, add maple syrup, blend till it is very smooth.
- Add psyllium husks, mix well and let stand for 10-15 minutes, then again blend very well. The psyllium husk acts as a thickening/gelling agent and provides the right texture.
Raspberry Rhubarb Agar-agar Jam
- 2 cups chopped rhubarb
- 1 cup raspberries
- ⅓ cup maple syrup (or another liquid sweetener of your choice)
- juice of 1 lemon (or roughly 3-4 tbsp lemon juice)
- 1 stick of cinnamon
- 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 2 tsp agar agar flakes
- Place all ingredients except balsamic vinegar and agar agar in a sauce pan (I used a cast iron pot) and bring to a boil. Then reduce heat and simmer for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Once the 15 minutes are up, add in the balsamic vinegar, stir, and allow the jam to continue simmering for another 5 minutes.
- Stir in the agar agar flakes until they are dissolved. Discard the cinnamon stick. Remove the jam from heat and transfer into a glass jar. Allow the jam to cool down to room temperature, then store in the fridge and use within a week or freeze for later use.
Vegan Jam can be made with agar agar, psylium seed husk or chia seeds as thickening/gelling agents. I provided 3 recipes using the 3 of them. Some of them can be vegan or raw vegan if you want something faster and to keep all the nutrients. I hope these are helpful. Give them a go!
I appreciate your support.