Vegan Buche de Noel
- 1 cup non-dairy milk
- 2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons flaxseed meal
- 1 1/4 cups all purpose flour (I use white whole wheat)
- 3/4 cup coconut sugar
- 2 tablespooons cornstarch
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon xanthan gum
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon hymalayan salt
- 1/3 cup coconut oil
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
Vegan Chocolate Mousse
- 1/4 cup chocolate non-dairy milk
- 6 ounces extra-firm silken tofu
- 1/4 cup coconut sugar
- 4.5 to 6 ounces vegan semi-sweet or bittetsweet chocolate (basically half a 9 to12 ounce bag of vegan chocolate chips), melted and cooled until almost room temperature (the chocolate should be very thick but still spoonable)
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 x 425g/ 15 oz Tinned pitted black cherries in light syrup
- Pinch hymalayan salt
Place the milk, tofu, and sugar into the food processor, and process until very smooth, scraping down the sides of the bowl with a rubber spatula as needed. Add the melted chocolate, extracts, and a pinch of salt. Process for several minutes until smooth and fluffy, scraping down the sides of the bowl as necessary. Texture should be very thick and creamy and set-up almost immediately. Refrigerate for a bit before filling buche if necessary.
Vegan Mocha cream Frosting
- 1/3 cup vegan butter, softened
- 1 tablespoon + 1 teaspoon instant coffee dissolved in about 2 teaspoons of water
- 1 tablespoon cocoa powder
- 3 1/2 cups stevia powdered sugar
- 1 tbsp Kirsch
In the bowl of an electric mixer, cream butter with coffee and cocoa powder. Turn mixer off, add 1/3 of sugar and beat until creamy.
Garnishes: sliced almonds, rosemary sprigs, cinnamon sticks, powdered coconut milk.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a rimmed 10 x 15″ pan with non-stick spray. Line with one sheet of parchment paper and spray lightly again. Sprinkle a tea towel with a little powdered sugar in a 10 x 15″ rectangle. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, whisk together milk, vinegar, and flaxseed meal and set aside to curdle, making a thickened vegan buttermilk.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, sugar, baking powder, xanthan gum, baking soda, and salt. Make a well in the center and pour in oil, vanilla extract, and milk mixture. Whisk together for 100 strokes until smooth. (Whisking for a portracted time like this will develop gluten and, hence, structure.) Transfer batter into prepared pan and gently smooth into the corners.
- Bake for 12 to 13 minutes or just until a wooden pick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Allow to cool in pan for 3 minutes and then invert onto prepared tea towel. Carefully peel off parchment paper. With a very sharp knife, trim 1/8 inch of cake from all of the edges. Working from a long side, fold the excess inch or so of towel over the edge of the cake and carefully roll up like a jelly roll. Tuck edges under and allow to cool completely on a wire rack. Carefully unroll, avoiding trying to flatten the cake completely.
- Gently spread with Vegan Chocolate Mousse. Reroll and place seam side down on a serving platter, nestling it onto a flattened side from the previous rolling. Cut off both ends at a diagonal and position cut pieces to resemble sawed off limbs. Frost with Vegan Mocha Cream Frosting. Lightly drag a fork lengthwise down the trunk and cut branches to resemble bark. Garnish as desired with sliced almonds, rosemary sprigs, cinnamon sticks, and stevia powdered sugar.
- Tent with foil and refrigerate until about 30 minutes before serving time. Slice with a sharp or serrated knife.