Vegan Sour Cream can be made with nuts, seeds, yogurt or tofu. These are recipes for each option.
Gluten-Free Vegan Nut Sour Cream
- ¼ cup or 52 grams of almonds
- 1 cup or 236 ml warm water
- 1 Tablespoon of cornstarch
- freshly squeezed lime juice, to taste
- salt, to taste
- Soak the almonds for a couple of hours or until they plump up and become softer, drain before using. Place all the almonds and only half of the water into the blender and blend for a couple of minutes.
- Add all the cornstarch, a pinch of salt, the other half of the water and blend until completely smooth — the time will depend on the power of your blender.
- Over medium heat cook the mixture until it thickens. This will take about 10 minutes. It’s very important that you keep stirring the whole time to prevent it burning or bubbling over, as the mixture thickens. When ready, remove from heat and allow to cool for a few minutes while you keep stirring it.
- At this time if you want a more neutral tasting crema you can simply leave as is and cool completely before storing. For a more tart cream continue with the next step.
- Once allowed to cool slightly, little by little add freshly squeezed lime juice and salt to the cream. Stir until well combined, allow to sit a couple of minutes, then taste and if needed add a bit more lime juice and/or salt until you get the tartness you’re happy with.
- Pour into a container and if serving it right away allow to cool a bit more, otherwise store in the fridge covered for up to 4 days.
Vegan Seed Sour Cream
- 1½ C. sunflower seeds
- ¼ C. lemon juice
- 1 tsp. Himalayan Salt or Transformational Salt
- 3 Tbsp. olive or Cold-Pressed Coconut Oil
- 1/4 C. filtered water. Add water little at a time to get the desired consistency.
Blend together until smooth. Set aside in fridge until carne and chili have been combined and are complete.
Tofu Sour Cream
- 1 cup silken tofu
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
In a blender or food processor, combine all the ingredients and blend until smooth. Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.