- 3 C. dry raw 0at groats (without husks)
- 1 1/2 C. filtered water
- 1/2 C. Raw Mesquite Meal
- 3 tsp. Himalayan Salt or Transformational Salt (or to taste)
- 2 tsp. combination of sweet spices of choice, such as cinnamon, cardamom, vanilla powder, nutmeg, cloves, or Allspice.
- 2 C. flax seeds, ground in a coffee grinder or high-speed blender
- 1 C. cold-pressed sesame oil
- Optional: Stevia to taste
To Sprout the Oat Groats
In a large bowl or sprouting jar(s), soak the oat groats in purified water for 6-8 hours. Drain soaked groats, rinse, and drain again. This can be done in a colander if you not using a sprouting jar with a screened lid. Set aside to sprout, rinsing 3 times a day for 1-2 days. When oat groats have grown small tails they are sprouted and ready to use.
To Prepare the Bread
Combine sprouted oat groats, filtered water, salt, stevia and spices in a food-processor and process until smooth. Stir in the oil, mesquite meal, and flax seed meal. Allow to sit for at least 5 minutes in order for flax seed meal to bind the dough.
Sprinkle working surface with additional mesquite flour and cinnamon or flaxseed meal to prevent dough from sticking while forming into braided loaves. Dehydrate at 145°F for one hour. Reduce heat to 115°F an additional 5-7 hours. (If using a conventional oven turn to lowest heat, place the loaves onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper, place in oven, leaving the oven door open a bit, if you have an oven fan please use that as well, check the loaves after 3 hours. You want the outside to be firm and, when you press down, you want the inside to be moist.)