Raw Vegan Lemon Pie
- 1 1/2 cup pitted dates
- 3/4 cup oats, uncooked
- 6 tablespoons unsweetened shredded coconut
- 3-4 tablespoons water
No-Bake Lemon Pie Filling
- 3/4 cup raw cashews
- 2 lemons, juiced
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1/8 teaspoon turmeric (optional, for color)
- 1/3 cup canned full-fat coconut milk (chilled overnight)
- 1 13.5-ounce can full-fat coconut milk (chilled overnight)
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar (optional)
- To prepare the crust, blend the dates, oats, and coconut into small bits. Once everything is blended finely, add 3-4 tablespoons water to make the mixture hold together while still being malleable. Press the pie crust into a full-sized pie pan, completely covering the base and edges. It’s easiest to use your hands to press this in.
- For the lemon filling, soak the raw cashews in water overnight, OR boil them in water for 5-10 minutes until soft. Strain, and blend the cashews with the remaining ingredients except for the coconut milk. Transfer the mixture to a saucepan and add 1/3 cup canned coconut milk. (When you open the can of chilled coconut milk, you want to only use the firm white part on top and discard any of the liquid.)
- Heat the mixture in the saucepan, continuously stirring until the coconut milk is melted and incorporated. Pour your lemon filling on top of the pie crust. Place the pie in the fridge to cool while you make the whipped topping.
- To make the whipped topping, grab the other can of chilled coconut milk. Again, discard the liquid and only use the firm white portion. Transfer to a bowl with the powdered sugar. (The sugar is optional, but it helps the topping become fluffier and more whipped.)
- Use a hand beater to whip together the coconut milk and sugar, blending for 2-3 minutes until fluffy. Evenly spread on top of the chilled pie. Slice into 8 pieces and enjoy immediately, OR chill in the fridge for at least an hour before serving. (It’s best when chilled. The filling becomes thicker and extremely pleasant after being chilled. Store extras in the fridge up to a week.)
Vegan Gluten-Free Lemon Pie
-1/4 Teaspoon of vanilla extract
-1/2 Teaspoon of xanthan gum powder
-Zest of 2 lemons (optional)
- Place the oats, desiccated coconut and flour into a large mixing bowl and stir in the oil & water until fully combined and a dough forms.
- Grease a pie tin with dairy-free butter/margarine. This prevents the pie sticking to the pan!
- Place the crust into the pie tin and press down, making sure to press up the edges of the tin!
- Lightly prick the crust with a fork and pop into the oven and bake for 10 minutes, or until golden.
After 10-12 minutes, remove from the oven and set aside to cool.
To make the Meringue
- Place the chickpea brine into a mixing bowl, along with the cream of tartar.
Whiz together using an electric/hand whisk.
The mixture will begin to foam.
- Slowly add in the sugar, a little at a time, followed by the salt, vanilla extract and xanthan gum.
- Place the lemon filling on the base and top off with the meringue!
Use a fork or spatula to create swirls & peaks for the classic effect!
- Bake the lemon meringue for 15-20 minutes on 190 degrees.
- Once the top has turned golden, carefully remove from the oven and place onto a baking tray to cool.
I appreciate your support.