Vegan cosmetics are those who are Organic, Natural and Cruelty- Free.
They are organic because they don’t contain chemicals, natural because its ingredients come directly from nature and haven’t been processed, and cruelty-free because these companies don’t use animals as tools to test their products. There is no reason to buy products that have been tested on animals or to support companies that are exploiting animals to turn a profit.
For a cosmetic product to be vegan, it must not contain any animal ingredient at all, be it a part of an animal (like gelatin or animal fats) or derived from an animal (such as honey, beeswax, yogurt, lactic acid, and so on). For a cosmetic product to be vegetarian, it must not contain any animal part, but it can contain ingredients that are animal bi-products, or produced by an animal. For example, a beauty product that contains beeswax is vegetarian but not vegan.
You might find these products in the “Beauty Without Bunnies”database, which lists more than 3,100 cruelty-free businesses that never test their products on animals.
In March 2013, a European Union regulation was implemented that made it illegal to sell animal-tested cosmetics in Europe, even if the testing was done outside Europe. If you want to check if a beauty company is cruelty-free, visit PETA searchable list and enter the name of the brand.
You can find the following products in its vegan alternatives:
- Blush: Phthalates In The Blusher. They are full of preservatives in the form of phthalates. This chemical actually helps holding the scent and colour of the makeup in place and it’s known to have hormone disruptors.
- Brushes: Have you ever thought how they are made? They come from hair of animals, squirrels, horses, mink and goats even. They are full of bacteria and laced with dead cells of those same animals.
- Eyeliner: Carnauba Wax In Eyeliners. This ingredient is used in mascara and eyeliners to make it waterproof but it clogs the oil glands and makes your eyes dry.
- Eyeshadow: Aluminium Powder In Eyeshadows. Loads of talc and aluminium powder are added to other ingredients. This powder contains high levels of mercury that causes a disbalance in our system. Use chemical free, vegan eyeshadow instead.
- Facial lotion
- Foundation: Octinoxate in Foundations. It helps in UV protection in sunscreens. It causes skin cancer, disrupts hormone production and other skin related allergies. Switch to natural chemical free foundation.
- Lipstick: Lead In Lipsticks
Almost 61% of Lipsticks available in the market contain lead. The easiest thing to do would be to use lipsticks that are lead-free.
- Mascara: Parabens in Mascara. Parabens are found in many other makeup products as it is used as a preservative to avoid any bacteria from growing on the products. But this same element is also found in the breasts of a breast cancer patient.
- Hair spray
- Hair dye
- Deodorant: The armpits are very sensitive to substances. Choose one who doesn’t contain parabens, and instead pick one who has salts.
- Lotion. some of its chemicals may cause irritation and allegies.
- Tanning products: They contain dangerous chemicals that may cause skin cancer. Avoid these or find their vegan alternative.
- Perfumes: “Fragrance” In Perfumes. Most of our creams, perfumes, deodorants and sprays have an ingredient known as “fragrance”, but we hardly ever know the components that make this fragrance. These chemical based ingredients may contain harmful elements that cause hormonal disruptions and can also lead to further damage of the skin too. Instead choosing a mist spray made with essential oils will only make the sweet smell last longer, it’ll also nourish your skin.
- Nail polish: Avoid the ones who have Formaldehyde.
The existence of the “toxic trio” in regular nail paints is definitely not doing any good to anyone who use nail enamels regularly.
- Nail polish remover
- Bubble bath
- Bath bombs
- Shaving Products
Perfumes: “Fragrance” In Perfumes. Most of our creams, perfumes, deodorants and sprays have an ingredient known as “fragrance”, but we hardly ever know the components that make this fragrance. These chemical based ingredients may contain harmful elements that cause hormonal disruptions and can also lead to further damage of the skin too. Instead choosing a mist spray made with essential oils will only make the sweet smell last longer, it’ll also nourish your skin.
- 100% Pure: https://uk.100percentpure.com
- Plum cosmetics: https://plumgoodness.com
- The body shop: https://www.thebodyshop.in
- Inika organic: https://www.inikaorganic.com/uk/makeup/
- Beauty without cruelty: https://www.bwcshop.com
- Skyn iceland: http://www.skyniceland.com
- Sibu: https://www.sibu.com
I appreciate your support.